A Romano-British pottery vessel in grey fabric of unusual form. The body and rim decorated with incised wheelturned bands.
From the same old English collection as items 41, 61, 63, 76 and 79. Attached is the original Victorian label recording the findspot. You don't get better provenance than that!
Condition: A repair and some loss on one side (probably the result of plough damage or Victorian building works).
Dimensions: 12cms x 5.5cms approx.
Provenance: Ex. private collection UK; acquired at UK auction house. Discovered at Botchergate, Carlisle, England in 1859.
The Roman name for Carlisle was Luguvalio which, by 1106, had been changed to Carleol, which is the origin of the modern day 'Carlisle'. This is probably derived from an earlier Welsh word Caer or Cair, meaning 'fort, fortress'. The word luguvalio is unlikely to be Latin, maybe British origin,and possibly the second element is derived from "wall" or "Valium" and relates to the Roman wall.
It is not known exactly who Luguvalos was or how the Romano-British town came to be named after him, he was possibly an iron-age noble, a high-ranking member of the Carvetii tribe who inhabited the countryside hereabouts.
When it was built, Hadrian’s Wall represented the far northern edge of the colossal Roman Empire. The frontier was first established along the line that was called the Stanegate (stone street) in Medieval times. This ran from Carlisle to Corbridge. Recent excavations have shown that the fort at Carlisle, which lay between the castle and Tullie House, was occupied from AD 72/3 to the early fifth century. It predated the Stanegate frontier, but was incorporated into it around AD 103-5.
In AD 122, Hadrian ordered the wall that bears his name to be built. The wall ran north of Carlisle through Uxelodunum (modern Stanwix, now a suburb of Carlisle). This was the largest fort on Hadrian's Wall. A recent hugely exciting archaeological find, described by Archaeologists as premiere league, has finally confirmed the location of the military bath-house which has long puzzled historians. It would have been used by the Ala Petriana, the crack Roman cavalry regiment based at Stanwix. The elite 1,000-strong unit was the most feared fighting force on Hadrian’s Wall, the Roman Empire’s northern-most frontier.
© Minerva Ancients 2020 All rights reserved
Powered by w3.css